We are happy to announce that we are now a Fear Free Certified veterinary practice! For many pets and their owners, a visit to the veterinarian can cause feelings of fear, anxiety, and stress. Stressful veterinary visits are problematic for pets, owners, and veterinary team members. The Fear Free program is intended to help veterinary health care professionals create an environment that is both welcoming and as stress free as possible.
We’ve always worked hard to provide the best care for your pets. Now, we know that there are ways to make your pet’s health care experience even better. We’re proud that our team members are evolving with modern veterinary medicine and remain committed to looking after both your pet’s physical and emotional well-being.
During a typical Fear Free veterinary visit, the practice team members might use the following strategies:
– Treats, treats, and more treats!!!
– Initially avoiding physical or eye contact with your pet if they seem fearful or intimidated
– Providing non-slip surfaces for your pet to stand or rest on to improve balance and enhance stability during examinations or treatments
– Creating a calming environment with pheromone sprays and soothing music
– Offering to escort you to an exam room as quickly as possible or providing the option to wait outside if your pet appears too stressed in our waiting room
– Actively working to reduce stressful noises or interactions with other patients/clients
– Regularly prescribing anti-anxiety or other calming medications & supplements as needed
– Delaying or postponing examinations or other procedures if your pet is showing significant signs of fear, anxiety, or stress
Please feel free to visit the site and
explore educational tools to help assist in the Fear Free experience!
Welcome to Fear Free at Wexford Veterinary Hospital!!